German-born American Hudson River School Painter, 1830-1902
Bierstadt was born in Solingen, Germany. His family moved to New Bedford, Massachusetts, in 1833. He studied painting with the members of the D??sseldorf School in D??sseldorf, Germany from 1853 to 1857. He taught drawing and painting briefly before devoting himself to painting.
Bierstadt began making paintings in New England and upstate New York. In 1859, he traveled westward in the company of a Land Surveyor for the U.S. government, returning with sketches that would result in numerous finished paintings. In 1863 he returned west again, in the company of the author Fitz Hugh Ludlow, whose wife he would later marry. He continued to visit the American West throughout his career.
Though his paintings sold for princely sums, Bierstadt was not held in particularly high esteem by critics of his day. His use of uncommonly large canvases was thought to be an egotistical indulgence, as his paintings would invariably dwarf those of his contemporaries when they were displayed together. The romanticism evident in his choices of subject and in his use of light was felt to be excessive by contemporary critics. His paintings emphasized atmospheric elements like fog, clouds and mist to accentuate and complement the feel of his work. Bierstadt sometimes changed details of the landscape to inspire awe. The colors he used are also not always true. He painted what he believed is the way things should be: water is ultramarine, vegetation is lush and green, etc. The shift from foreground to background was very dramatic and there was almost no middle distance
Nonetheless, his paintings remain popular. He was a prolific artist, having completed over 500 (possibly as many as 4000) paintings during his lifetime, most of which have survived. Many are scattered through museums around the United States. Prints are available commercially for many. Original paintings themselves do occasionally come up for sale, at ever increasing prices. Related Paintings of Albert Bierstadt :. | Moat Mountain Intervale New Hampshire | Albert Bierstadt's art | Sunrise, Yosemite Valley | Tyrolean Landscape | Landscape, Rockland County, California |
Related Artists:Matthijs Maris
Dutch Painter, 1839-1917
Brother of Jacob Maris. In 1851 he was apprenticed for one year to Isaac Elink Sterk (1808-71); from 1852 to 1855 he attended classes at the Academie in The Hague, and in 1854 he joined the studio of Louis Meijer, where his brother Jacob was also working. It was due to Meijer that in 1855 he was granted a monthly allowance by Queen Sophie to continue his training in Antwerp, where he moved in with Jacob. Through his studies at the Academie, Matthijs met the German painter Georg Laves, who introduced him to the work of the 19th-century German Romantic painters, in particular Ludwig Richter.BLES, Herri met de
Flemish Northern Renaissance Painter, ca.1510-1550
Flemish painter. Both van Mander and Lampsonius recorded Bouvines as his birthplace, although Guicciardini gave it as Dinant. The identification of Herri met de Bles with Herry de Patinir, who was a master of the Antwerp Guild of St Luke in 1535, is generally accepted. He may have been related to Joachim Patinir, possibly a nephew. In the Pictorum aliquot celebrium Germaniae Inferioris effigies (Antwerp, 1572) of Domenicus Lampsonius, Henricus Blesius Bovinati pictori is portrayed aged 40, sporting the type of clothing and beard that were fashionable in 1550.Musee national de la Marine
(National Navy Museum) is a maritime museum located in the Palais de Chaillot, Trocadero, in the XVIe arrondissement of Paris. It has annexes at Brest, Port-Louis, Rochefort (Musee National de la Marine de Rochefort), Toulon and Saint-Tropez. The permanent collection originates in a collection that dates back to Louis XV of France.
In 1748, Henri-Louis Duhamel du Monceau offered a collection of models of ships and naval installations to Louis XV of France, with the request that the items be displayed at the Louvre and made available to students of the Naval engineers school, which Duhamel headed. The collection was put on display in 1752, in a room of the first floor, next to the Academy of Sciences; the room was called "Salle de Marine" (Navy room), and was used for teaching.
With the French Revolution, the Salle de Marine closed in 1793. The collection was added to models owned by the King personally, to others owned by the Ministry of Navy, and yet others owned by emigres or executees (notably Philippe Égalite). A short-lived museum was opened between 1801 and 1803 at the Ministry of Navy, then located at Place de la Concorde.